What Is Baz Bus?
- Baz Bus is a unique hop-on hop-off, door-to-door bus service between the backpacking hostels around South Africa.
- Simply buy one ticket to your final destination and get on and off as many times as you want, wherever you want, with no time limit.
- Our buses are 22 – seater semi-luxury buses, all with on-board TV & videos, and trailers capable of carrying surfboards and bicycles.
- Baz Bus runs in each direction between Cape Town andJohannesburg / Pretoria with stops along the coast.
Why Use Baz Bus?
- Flexibility – You are not limited to a fixed schedule and you can choose where you want to stay and how long you want to stay there. Simply call Baz Bus when you are ready to travel to the next town along the route.
- Convenience – You are picked up and dropped off at the door of your backpacker hostel. There are over 180 hostels to select from and more than 40 cities, towns and villages to visit en route.
- Safety – No getting lost in strange towns in the middle of the night or having to lug heavy bags between bus and train stations.
- Get On-Board Information – Our info files tell you what’s hot and what’s not, where to go and who to go with.
- Enjoyment – Fun way to meet fellow travellers. Sit back, relax and share travel tales.
- Reach Out Of The Way Places – Private shuttles meet Baz Bus and run you to inaccessible areas (a service fee may be applicable).
- Far Better Than Car Hire :
No need to navigate on your own and getting lost at night, Baz Bus drops you off at the door of your hostel.
Save a fortune on fuel costs!
Meet your future husband / wife on the bus (yes, this does happen!).
Don’t worry about drinking and driving, so you can still party the nights (and days) away.
Instead of driving, take time to relax and enjoy the scenery or catch a video.
You can listen to music, read a book or doze away whilst someone else does the driving.
Bus travel has the lowest emissions, so you’ll be reducing your carbon footprint.
BAZ BUS HISTORY
Baz Bus was lifted off the ground in November 1995 by Barry Zeidel, a qualified accountant, entrepreneur and retired backpacker. Barry had travelled around Europe as a backpacker on a similar concept. He was amazed at the benefits of the service and did not have to worry about the stresses of driving a car in a strange town. He was not stuck in a rigid itinerary and best of all he met many other like minded travellers.
When he came back to South Africa he did intensive research into backpacking around the country. South Africa did not have a developed infrastructure, especially in the form of public transportation, making it more difficult for backpackers to get around.
A passion for backpacking and a dedicated hard working team helped to create this unique transport network in South Africa. Today, Baz Bus is a leading force in the backpacking Industry. We now have 180 hostels along our route and we carry over 10 000 independent travellers on our busses each year!
Baz Bus team includes more than 30 permanent staff members around the country. We offer intense in house training for all our staff, equipping them with high service levels to communicate with our guests.
Our passengers come from all over the world and are encouraged to meet fellow passengers on board the bus and share travel stories. Our passengers’ safety is our top priority. Passengers are never left unattended and are escorted by the driver into the backpacker hostel of their choice.